A Step by Step Tutorial
From the team behind Apache Cordova, the Adobe PhoneGap framework is an open-source distribution of Cordova — providing the advantage of technology created by a diverse team of pros along with a robust developer community —
PhoneGap Build takes the pain out of compiling PhoneGap apps. Get app-store ready apps without the headache of maintaining native SDKs. The PhoneGap Build service does the work for you by compiling in the cloud. — by PhoneGap
1.I’m pretty sure you already have done this step, but for anyone who is not very familiar with coding, please install a text editor (like Atom, Notepad++, Subline) or check this video to find an editor. Personally I’ll be using Subline, but it honestly doesn't matter.
2. Create the configuration file. Code can be found here:
<! — versionCode is optional and Android only →
An example for phonegap build docs.
Name the file as config.xml. By default, you don’t have to change anything but I would change the “name” and the “author”. Save it in a new folder. You can name the folder however you want.
3. Create an index.html file and include the basic structure (as you see in the video or below). Save it in the folder you created in the previous step
<h1>my first header</h1>
<p>hi, this is a paragraph</p>
<button onclick=”alert(‘omg, this is a working button’)”>Click me!</button>
4. Create the zip folder with the 2 files
5. Open on your browser PhoneGap
6. Sign in or register… (don’t worry, it’s free and it doesn't take much time)
7. Upload the zip file, and you are ready!!
8. Use your android phone to scan the bar code
9. Say “yes/install” or “install anyway” to every pop up on your phone
10. And now you should be able to use the app on your phone!
Extra! Update the logo icon on your new app
- Download or create a small icon (preferable dimensions: 144x144px or 256x256px), save it as icon.png on your folder
- On config, after “author” add: <icon src=”icon.png”></icon>
- Save the file, and create a new .zip
- Upload the new zip on PhoneGap and check your app again!
On your smartphone close every tab on the browser!!! otherwise, you won’t be able to download your app!!
If you have any question feel free to comment below.
Thank you for taking the time to read my story and watch the video.