I did a ten-day experiment and here is what I found.
Please watch an analytical video here
I used to read through Medium quite a lot! Actually I read Medium since early 2016. I visit the platform every day. In the last couple of years, I also have started to publish my own articles.
But! I think this is going to change…
Although I used to read a lot, I would find the articles mostly through the newsletter I was getting daily in my email. I liked the options and the suggestions so I would open every article and I would read it, very often I would even suggest it to my friends and coworkers.
Lately, things have changed…
Every morning I go through my emails, I hesitate but I open Medium’s newsletter. Lately, without even reading the title, I’m clicking to open it. Why I do that? Because I’m curious just to see if I can read it...
As you may have understood, I haven’t upgraded my account and I don’t plan to do so. I can’t afford to pay the subscription... and honestly, I don’t even want to. I started using Medium because it was free and it had a nice variety of topics… but now?!
Another thing is that I value my time but Medium clearly doesn’t!
I don’t want to spend my time clicking on articles I can’t read… but unavoidably I do it!
Hence I decided to conduct research! The experiment was to open the last 10 emails I had from Medium and see how many I can read.
Here are the results:
- ♦ 20–12 -2019 | Read: 0/18 Unread: 18/18 articles
- ♦ 21–12 -2019 | Read: 6/21 Unread: 15/21 articles
- ♦ 22–12 -2019 | Read: 2/18 Unread: 16/18 articles
- ♦ 23–12 -2019 | Read: 4/15 Unread: 11/15 articles
- ♦ 24–12 -2019 | Read: 5/17 Unread: 12/17 articles
- ♦ 25–12 -2019 | Read: 1/15 Unread: 14/15 articles
- ♦ 26–12 -2019 | Read: 0/15 Unread: 15/15 articles
- ♦ 27–12 -2019 | Read: 3/18 Unread: 15/18 articles
- ♦ 28–12 -2019 | Read: 6/18 Unread: 12/18 articles
- ♦ 30–12 -2019 | Read: 4/18 Unread: 14/18 articles
Here is what I learned:
- ♦ The most articles I could read were: 6
- ♦ I could read 6 articles for: 1 day out of 10
- ♦ I could NOT ready any article for: 2 days out of 10
- ♦ On 10 days I could read 31 articles out of 173
Now let’s say that I want 3sec to 4sec to decide If I want to read the article or not. As I wrote earlier most of the articles are interested to me and indeed I want to read them. So:
- ♦ For 10 days: 3sec x 173articles = 519sec or 8.65min
- ♦ For 10 days: 4sec x 173articles = 692sec or 11.53min
For 10days I’m spending on average 10.10min on Medium’s newsletter.
For 365days I’m spending on average 368.65min or 22.12hours on Medium’s newsletter.
Now let’s calculate the time I need for the articles I can actually read
- ♦ For 10 days: 4sec x 31articles = 124sec or 2.06min
- ♦ For 10 days: 3sec x 31articles = 91sec or 5.58min
For 10days I should spend on average 2.79min on Medium’s newsletter.
For 365days I should spend on average 101.87min or 1.69hours on Medium’s newsletter.
Here is my research and some thoughts
I’m spending 22.12hours yearly on Medium’s newsletter when I should spend 1.69hours.
Sorry, but I don’t wish to spend my time clicking on articles that I CANT read.
Dear readers, that you don’t pay the yearly subscription, do you wish to do that?
I think you get my point! Now Medium should also get it!
Thank you for taking the time to read my story and watch my video.
It would be nice to subscribe to my youtube channel. It’s free and it helps to create more content. Thank you.