A few days ago I asked on Twitter what is harder than coding. My answer would be poverty, raising children (although I'm not a parent), communication, etc.
Let's see how other people felt.
Life - coding is hard but...
- ► Poverty / Being broke is harder.
- ► Raising kids/ Raising teenagers / The parenthood.
- ► Giving birth is harder.
- ► Adulting.
- ► Human interaction.
- ► Dealing with idiots online / Dealing with people / Dealing with clients.
- ► Trusting people.
- ► Building an actual product is harder.
- ► The amount of things you need to learn to become good enough to get a job.
- ► Finding a job is / Landing a job (<- I got many answers like this).
- ► Giving up.
- ► Bricklaying is one of those jobs that looks so easy but is actually very difficult.
- ► Life is harder.
Work- coding is hard but...
- ► Problem-solving is harder
- ► Coding is hard but scrum daily is harder.
- ► Deployment / Documenting / Designing / Testing (<- I got many answers for these).
- ► Algorithms/maths.
- ► Explaining something that sounds super obvious and simple to you as an experienced dev, to a newbie who's just starting out in the field.
- ► Reading others’ codes.
- ► Finding error when code compiles successfully.
- ► Thinking about how my portfolio design will be is harder.
- ► Getting really damn good in it is harder / Quality coding is harder.
- ► Clean Coding.
- ► Resolving merge conflicts.
- ► Refactoring (<- I got many answers like this).
- ► Not coding (<- I got many answers like this).
- ► Debugging / Debugging other's code (<- I got many answers like this).
Fun - coding is hard but...
- ► Finding a girl who is good at programming, sarcasm and watches anime!!
- ► Finding a partner / Dating.
- ► Convincing people that you cannot hack into their ex's account- is harder (<- ok, that made me laugh!).
- ► Watching your crush's boyfriend code.
- ► Coding is hard but filling the blank is harder...
- ► Trying to talk to literally anyone in my fam about coding.
- ► Maintaining social life while coding as a profession is harder ( <- well, I'm not sure if this is actually fun or not!)
- ► Naming methods / variables.
- ► Not getting coding-related jokes is harder.
- ► Learning Russian.
- ► Trying to sleep without solving the problem.
- ► Painting every room in your house.
- ► Watching Sebastian Vettel on a podium in 2021.
I'm afraid I couldn't include all the answers as more than 600 people answered me (thank you), but I tried to include the most common answers. Feel free to check the rest of them on Twitter. Thank you everyone for participating :).